Jan 6, 2011

Long time no write/ Happy New Year/Todd Rundgren

Well it has been a long time since I have written but that is because shattered my elbow, had re-constructive surgery and i am now in the middle of 1½ years of rehab (ya it's that serious). If you have the stomach for it you can read about it here.

So Happy New Year and I will re-enter the blog-o-sphere with a little praise for one of my bigger influences as a musician...Todd Rundgren.

12 years my senior I think I first encountered his music full on with the release of Back to the Bars and The Hermit of Mink Hollow.

On the Live album he was just great with a good band but on hermit I learn how good someone could be playing ALL the instruments. The inspirational message here to those who know me is obvious. At that time I was 'just' a drummer but between Todd and Stevie Wonder I knew music, good music, could be made by just one person.

Todd, while not the household name his career should invoke, he is the writer and/or performer behind such hits as Love is the Answer, I Saw the Light, Hello it's Me, Can We Still Be Friends, Bang on the Drum All Day, A Dream Goes On Forever etc. Part of his "Rock's Biggest Cult Musician" Status could be placed on his eccentric non pop star way of behaving. Even now he seems to loath self promotion. His website used to be more a work of art now at least it provides a bio, store and something very unique a Rock camp???  But tour dates?? New record releases?? Naw that is only for insecure types.

Anyhow I will leave with an obscure Todd vid. him Playing Wait for Me with Darryl Hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Comment will need to be approved